ISO45001 was first published in 2018, which is the new standard for occupational health and safety matters. This will focus on the risks and how to avoid anything that would hurt the employees in terms of health and safety. This standard can be applied to any sized organisation regardless of the type of business. it can be implemented easily to the existing standards and processes and trails the same system of ISO management.
The key changes that will take place to the organisational structure, the engagement of the stakeholders, the leadership and involvement, identification of hazards which is also known as risk management, the aims and objectives of the organisation, information that has been documented, the procurement and outsourcing processes and the continuous improvement.
For all this to take place, a strong representative from the organisation should take responsible in order to ensure that the systems are implemented in the right manner and is maintained by continuous improvement. This individual should have access to a few things such as resources, authority, access to the top management and should be competent to handle and be responsible for this.
05 tips to keep the employees safe and healthy at the workspace
- Identifying all the activities taking place within the organisation.
- Identify activities or elements that can cause harm to the employees.
- Removal of any element that will cause hazard or injuries.
- Verifying that the three previous actions will protect the employees and that all rules, policies and standards are being followed.
- Taking measures to continuously improve after analysis the situation.
An action plan for implementation
Before you begin the ISO45001 transition, you need to carry out a gap analysis, which will help you validate any elements that need special attention.
The following recommendations will help you to make decision based on what is the best way to implement ISO45001:
- Conducting an analysis of the company and its framework with will focus on the factors, both external and internal, that will affect the organisation in terms of occupational health and safety.
- Understanding the requirements before making decisions about the goals of implementation of the new standard.
- Recognizing and understanding the element that has not been focused on addressing them before implementing the standard.
- Concentrating on the objectives and ensuring that the policies of the occupational health and safety are understood.
- Creating a good plan that will ensure that all employees are informed of the changes frequently for engagement and therefore, getting their support to implement the standard.
The occupational healthy and safety manual is very important during implementation as it contains all the information that will help the organisation to create a framework and objectives, which will ensure that the risks can be approached in a safe manner or avoided completely.